LA LIGA

Chelsea has been dealt with a blow in their pursuit of Jules Kounde

Kounde

Chelsea has been in the transfer market for top centre-backs ever since the departure of Antonio Rudiger and Andreas Christensen. Thomas Tuchel has expressed his desire to strengthen his backline with quality signings. Jules Kounde has been a priority target for the club in the past few days.

The Blues have already signed Kalidou Koulibaly from Napoli on a permanent transfer. The club is looking to add the French international to their squad to compete on all fronts. Although the club is seen in pole position to sing the defender, the transfer is far from complete. Chelsea reportedly agreed to a £55million fee for the defender with Sevilla.

However, the club now faces the possibility of a rival bid from Barcelona. Joan Laporta said on Thursday that Jules Kounde will sign for Chelsea as they are unable to match the proposal. However, in a turn of events, Barcelona has recently sold a further 15% of their La Liga TV rights which has left them with an inflow of cash.

The Blaugrana is expected to table a bid for the player soon. If the Catalans are able to match Chelsea’s £55 million then the transfer saga might take a huge turn.

Jules Kounde prefers a move to Barcelona ahead of Chelsea

Chelsea has already agreed on a fee with Sevilla for the French international. However, the player is yet to come to terms with the Blues. It is considered that the defender is interested to join Barcelona ahead of Chelsea this summer.

This comes as a major blow to Chelsea’s transfer plans. The West Londoners have already lost out on Matthijs De Ligt to Bayern Munich earlier this summer. The negotiations with Paris Saint-Germain for Presnel Kimpembe has also not progressed well.

The club is in dire need of defensive reinforcements as the team is not competitive according to the manager, Thomas Tuchel. The German tactician said:

“The stakes are high and we’re competing not only against the best teams who have ever played in the Premier League but also the best coaches. We come from sanctions, we come from losing top-quality players, key players, we are a club in transition, in transition of ownership, we were behind in the transfer race and we were behind in the table. So we have things to improve.”

The former Borussia Dortmund and PSG boss further explained:

“The signing of Raheem shows what we’re capable of doing, it shows the ambition of the club and the ownership and it’s good because we’re all here to win and compete. We love to compete and we love the challenge at the very top. For that we need signings of new quality players or otherwise there’s no chance.”

However, it seems that Chelsea are set to lose another defensive target to a rival European club. Who else can the blues target this summer to strengthen their defence? Only time will tell!!

Follow us on Twitter for more updates.

To Top