FC Goa secure comfortable win over Velsao SCC

About Football Express India - Indian Super League - I-League

In the Goa Professional League opener, FC Goa cruised to a comfortable 2-0 victory over Velsao SCC. The match took place at the Duler Stadium on a warm Tuesday afternoon.

FC Goa fielded a revised squad as Jovial Dias, Versly Paes and Mevan Dias were advanced to the senior team. New acquisition Manushawn Fernandes was given a start for the Gaurs vs Velsao. On the other side, Velsao introduced Velito Cruz and Seldon Pereira into the starting XI.  

The Gaurs were close to going ahead 10 minutes in. Vasim Hawaldar picked out Mevan Dias in the box with a low drive but the ball was out of Dias’ reach. A minute later, Velsao responded with a menacing attack as their frontman Rohan Rodrigues charged forward and shot at goal from inside the box. However, FC Goa keeper Hensal Coelho stretched to parry brilliantly.

FC Goa in the driving seat vs Velsao SCC

Another chance arose for FC Goa to take the advantage in the 15th minute. It was Vasim once again with an impressive through ball to Jovial. Unfortunately, the youngster failed to convert he shot over the bar. At the other end, Velsao too had an opportunity. Rohan picked up a pass from FC Goa’s Manushawn Fernandes and barged into the box but could not find the net.

Velsao squandered another good chance to take the lead. Ronaldo Pereira headed wide off target following a delicious cross from Cyrus Noronha.

FC Goa were quick to punish Velsao for misssing a good opportunity. They put their noses in front in the 27th minute. Jovial Dias rocketed a shot from far out to beat goalkeeper Jeet Gupta to make it 1-0.

Ivon Costa almost doubled the advantage for FC Goa 40 minutes with a long distance free-kick. However, the midfielder saw his shot come off the crossbar and go out for a goal kick.

Velsao were close to levelling from a counter-attack a few minutes later. Defender Cyrus Noronha curled a lovely ball to Chandel Fernandes in the box, but the youngster’s header was off target.

The Gaurs dominated in the second half, creating three more chances as the half ticked on. Deeshank pinged a sharp pin-point free-kick to Mevan Dias but the woodwork rescued Velsao for the second time in the game. FC Goa were given yet another chance to go 2-0 up in the 85th minute. Nonetheless, Velsao goalkeeper Jeet successfully pushed away a shot from Mevan.

However, Mevan finally got on the scoresheet in the added minutes, allowing his side to bag a solid 2-0 victory.

Follow our Twitter for regular football updates and news.

For more sports updates, make sure to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn & Youtube.

To Top