EUROPEAN FOOTBALL

Diego Simeone says he would have ‘no problem’ with Joao Felix

Felix

Diego Simeone, head coach of Atletico Madrid, has stated that he would welcome Joao Felix back into the club during the 2023-24 season. The 23-year-old joined Chelsea on loan from Atletico Madrid in January, although he only managed four goals in 20 outings for the Blues. The Premier League team apparently decided not to sign him on a permanent basis, thus the Portugal international will return to Atletico Madrid this summer.

Read More:- Barcelona are ready to formalise their interest in Joshua Kimmich.

Diego Simeone looks happy to work with Joao Felix at Atletico Madrid next season

Newcastle United are said to be interested in the forward. But Diego Simeone has stated that Felix will return to the Atletico Madrid squad next season.

“Joao is our player. If Chelsea don’t want to sign him as apparently [Mauricio] Pochettino decided… he will be back here and he will be part of our team. I can work with him, I’ve no problem at all with Joao. He knows that,” Simeone told El Partidazo de COPE.

There have been claims that Felix’s relationship with Diego Simeone ended earlier this season, but both have dismissed those claims in recent months. Atletico president Enrique Cerezo recently addressed the Portuguese forward’s future, admitting that the club ‘does not have a plans yet’ for him.

“The truth is I can’t say what Joao’s future holds”, Cerezo told Marca.

“Yesterday we got the news that the new manager at Chelsea is planning without him. We don’t have a plan yet, but Joao is now an Atlético player.”

Newcastle united is keen to sign Joao Felix

Felix joined Atletico from Benfica in the summer of 2019. In addition he appeared 131 times for the Red and Whites, scoring 34 goals and contributing 18 assists. Before leaving on loan in January, the attacker signed a new contract with Atletico which is set to expire in the summer of 2027. Felix showed glimpses of his abilities while at Chelsea. He scored in the team’s penultimate Premier League game of the season on May 25 against Manchester United. However, the Blues finished the season in 12th place in the Premier League table, therefore there will be no European action at Stamford Bridge next season.

Man United are long-term admirers of Felix. However there has been no sign that the Red Devils are planning a summer move for him. Felix appears to be interested in joining Newcastle in the forthcoming transfer window, with the Magpies qualifying for the Champions League next season.

Follow our Twitter handle for more updates

For more sports updates, make sure to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn & Youtube.



To Top