NorthEast United FC 3-3 Mumbai City FC: Brown hattrick secures a point

About Football Express India - Indian Super League - I-League

Deshorn Brown scored a hattrick as NorthEast United FC staged a comeback to draw 3-3 with Mumbai City FC. The two teams battled it out for 3 points but had to settle for a point. The defending champions Mumbai City FC were looking to increase their lead at the top but were unable to do so.

They now have 16 points and have a 3 point lead. Meanwhile, Khalid Jamil’s languish in 9th place. The Highlanders have only gathered a mere 8 points from 9 games.

NorthEast United FC 3-3 Mumbai City FC: The Game

Mumbai City started the game on the front foot as Michu made a crucial save to deny Catatau just 2 minutes in. They were all over the Highlanders for the opening 20 minutes.

The first goal, however, came against the run of play. Mumbai’s high line allowed Brown to make a perfectly timed run. Imran Khan quickly spotted and picked him out for the striker to slot home with ease.

The Islanders deservedly drew level in the 33rd minute through Igor Angulo, Flottmann’s cheap giveaway being the reason for the goal. Mumbai continued to dominate play and eventually took the lead after 40 minutes.

Patrick Flottmann struggled to keep up with Angulo again and turned his back on goal. Angulo found Bipin Singh in space who buried it for 2-1. The Islanders ended the first period with their noses in front. NorthEast United were lucky not to concede more.

Second Half:

Khalid Jamil’s half-time talk worked out well as his side came into the second half with a renewed vigor. Mumbai struggled to keep up with the intensity of play. However, their defense let them down once more.

The backline was left exposed by a long ball sent in towards Catatau. The winger squared it to Angulo, who was as sharp as ever to bag his 2nd of the night (52′). Mumbai looked set to take home all 3 points. However, Deshorn Brown had other plans. The Jamaican who made a start after quite a while came in clutch.

He responded right away 4 minutes later to reduce the deficit. Peeling away from his marker, the forward powered away another to bang in his own brace. Mirshad Michu kept the Highlanders in the game after making a crucial save in the 69th minute.

He managed to get a fingertip on the ball to deny Bipin his second. Brown then went on to net a hattrick in the 80th minute for 3-3. Nawaz was caught in no man’s land as Brown took advantage and directed Imran Khan’s shot into an empty net.

Tired legs gave away a lot of chances to both teams in the dying embers. It was still anyone’s game but neither team was able to capitalize. Coureur failed to give NorthEast the lead and script a miraculous comeback when his shot was saved going into added time. Now it was then Mumbai’s turn to miss chances as Bheke and Angulo missed absolute sitters.

Follow our Twitter for regular football news and updates.

For more sports updates, make sure to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn & Youtube.

To Top