Dramatic penalty shootout as Eastern Sporting Union advances to the semifinals

About Football Express India - Indian Super League - I-League

In a thrilling penalty shootout victory over Sports Odisha on Tuesday morning at the Shahibaug Police Stadium, former champions Eastern Sporting Union advanced to the semifinals. After regulation time ended with a 1-1 stalemate between the two sides, the Manipur team won 4-2 in penalties.

Both Eastern Sporting Union and Sports Odisha had an equal number of chances to score throughout the first half, which was evenly matched. Rekha Poudel, a forward from Nepal, led Sports Odisha’s initial onslaught as they took a commanding lead in the match. At the halfway point, there was a cooling off period. After that, Eastern Sporting Union rediscovered some rhythm and executed some nice movements in the attacking third.

Lourembam Ronibala Chanu’s team kept up their offensive momentum in the second half. Eventually, in the 67th minute, substitute Lhingdeikim headed in Phanjoubam Nirmala Devi’s long aerial cross from inside her own half to score the opening goal. Sports Despite getting a touch on the ball, Spandita Das of Odisha was unable to stop it from going into the goal.

With only 10 minutes remaining, Manisha Naik executed a brilliant play to tie the game at 1-1. The Sports Odisha forward received a cross from Sanfida Nongrum with a beautiful first touch. And with a brilliant lob, he beat custodian Elangbam Panthoi Chanu.

Panthoi stepped up as the game entered the penalty shootout for Eastern Sporting Union. Before Sports Odisha defender Poonam was denied by the woodwork, India international custodian stopped Sports Odisha midfielder Poonam’s penalty kick. The winning penalty was then converted by captain Irom Prameshwori Devi. And sending Manipur to the semifinals for the first time since 2017–18.

Lhingdeikim is an Eastern Sporting Union substitute and goal scorer. as named Player of the Match for her significant performance in the second half.

Kickstart leave it late against HOPS to secure a spot in the semifinals

Read More :- Bengaluru FC was named the RFDL champion

Kickstart FC defeated HOPS FC 2-1 on Tuesday morning at the TransStadia. Thanks to an injury-time goal from Kioko Elizabeth Katungwa.

The Bengaluru team got things started with a strong exhibition of aggressive football. Right-footed drive from the edge of the box by Kaviya Pakkirisamy gave them the lead in the 17th minute. Before deflecting off HOPS defender Pooja and crossing the goal line, the shot struck the post.

Earlier, Rajni Bala had a chance to profit off a Kickstart defenders error. However, the HOPS forward’s shot went right into Maibam Linthoingambi Devi’s palms. But in the second half, Renu Rani of the Delhi squad scored an equaliser. The lightning-quick forward sprinted from the right wing, turned about, and sprinted for the goal. Her shot connected with the crossbar’s underside and went in for a 1-1 score.

When it appeared that the game would go in a shootout, replacement Kioko Elizabeth Katungwa unexpectedly flicked the ball in from close range to win it for Kickstart. The Kenyan attacker was found by defender Shanglakpam Banti Sharma’s powerful cross. And she powered her header past custodian Anshika from a tight angle.

Dalima Chhibber is the captain of the Kickstart team. She received the Player of the Match award for her outstanding performance at the back.

Follow our Twitter Handle for more updates.

For more sports updates, make sure to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn & Youtube.

To Top